A hybrid model is employed in the decision process.
The purposes of including non-academic factors in the upper college junior-level admission decision process are to enhance the student’s educational experience through the process, to recognize attributes employers and industries value in the process, to acknowledge qualities that are valued by and consistent with the mission of the Broad College, and to include appropriate factors considered as indicators of success by the admissions review committee.
The rationale for including non-academic factors in a hybrid model is to utilize a more inclusive developmental approach in the admission decision process.
1. Academic factors
- MSU courses: Completion of at least 56 credits
- MSU cumulative GPA
- Precore courses: Completion of the following
- CSE 101
- EC 201
- EC 202
- ACC 201
- ACC 202
- Precore GPA calculator
2. Required non-academic factors
Students seeking admission must submit as part of his/her online application an experiential profile and a case study.
2.1. Experiential profile
An online experiential profile considering the following qualities.
- Level of passionEnthusiasm & sustained commitment to business
- Tangible connectionBetween experience & business principles
- Level of responsibilityIncreased level of duties & responsibilities
- Duration of experienceTotal hours
2.2. Case study
A proctored case study considering characteristics in one of the following thematic areas which will be randomly assigned.
- Principle-based actions
- Demands truth
- Does the right thing
- Has courage to defend ethical practices
- Initiative & resourcefulness
- Drives for excellence
- Strong work ethic
- Applies principle-based problem solving techniques
- Professional relationships & teamwork
- Develops team members
- Ability to work with others
- Values inclusion
- Has connection with community
- Strives for customer satisfaction
- Contributes to the wider society
The approach includes meaningful self-reflection and teachable moments regarding integrity, initiative, professional relationships, work experience, and extra-curricular activities as it relates to the business world with the experiential profile and case study is consistent with the 5 key dimensions of personal and social responsibility of the AAC&U leadership initiative.
3. Optional non-academic factors
The personal statement of extenuating circumstances is an opportunity for a student to share a circumstance beyond his/her control which may have impacted academic performance. Official supportive documentation of the extenuating circumstance must accompany the personal statement.